Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Grown & Sexy House Party! (ATL)

Yes, it was one of those weekends that my cousin was going to get me house no matter what. I obliged because it was an house party in a nice neighborhood, with supposedly nice people. I was not in the mood for a club or sport's bar, neither one of them would have the type of atmosphere to accommodate the mood I was in. So, we get dressed and off we go.

We arrive and the crowd was just beginning to fill the outdoor area. It gets you with 2 tables of home cooked food; the aroma introduces itself first. It was the making of friends and family celebrating the birthday of someone who was very special based on the volume of the crowd. Once you pass the 2 tables you enter into an area filled with a bar, stools, dominoe table (my favorite) and a pool tables that lays in the back. There were loads of conversing taking place. People busy filling themselves with the feel good juice that would take the mood into the night. The music was low-key, Frankie Beverly and his crew. You could tell this was a mature crowd. Except for one thing.

I smiled as I walked in and scooped the place. I sat at the bar and realized that there were a lot of couples, I noticed because I could feel the heat from their eyes and they clutched their husbands of boyfriends like a purse. I thought, here we go again. A bunch of insecure women thinking that I have ill intentions. As the now famous lyrics of Keyshia Cole, "I don't want your man". Married men to me are like shitty carpets. I am not attracted to them in the least way. Instead of clinging to the possibility to a negative night occurring I thought I would have fun despite the thick plate of judgement soup that was stinking up the air.

I sat beside the birthday girl. I knew it was here. She was the only one that smiles and gave me pleasant eye contact. She asked, I told. Just the basic, who are you? Who are you with? What's your name? And have a good time, and I did.

We went back to Slick Rick and RUN DMC, all the way to Amy Winehouse and Jay Z. We partied. I shot one game of pool and lost, played some dominoes and won. My cousin was the toast of the party, he kept everyone laughing and having a good time. A few drinks later and I started to check out the single men, or the men that appeared to be single, meaning they did not have a woman on their shoulder, and I was disappointed and happy. They were the kind of dudes that you hangout with or go shopping. Ya' know what I mean? I was glad because I had such a good time that it didn't even matter. We partied until the break of dawn.

Upon entering my bed and reminisce about my previous partying years, I was proud of how far I had come. It no longer was about the bass flirting with the cutest dude in the club. Last night was about getting together to celebrate our grown hood along with another year of life. I celebrated with people who were happy in their lives and glad that they could participate in this event. I used to wonder how it would be when I got older. I know now that being grown and sexy is such a wonderful place.

No comments:

UPDATE:

As some of you may know all of my social media accounts have been hacked. If you receive text or calls from my phone or email it not have be...