Monday, November 8, 2010

Black Girls Rock!

This past weekend I had the honor of hanging out with my teenage daughter. Since the birth of her little sister our daughter dates have become far and few in between, so this weekend I made sure it was all about my daughter, Imani Special Lee.

We began the weekend with going to see "Colored Girls", which was a very moving movie that said about a lot about women in relationships, love, adversity and finding themselves. Although my daughter has had what seems like a peachy upbringing, this does not leave her exempt from the obstacles that life can throw at you. Sometimes the things that life throws at you, wake you up or make you change your direction. Whatever the case there is no real way you can be prepared, you just have to be prepared to learn the lesson.

We then got up early Saturday morning to walk in the Caribbean Sounds 5K Walk for Sascoidosis research. The lesson: Always give,always serve and always give a hand to the person that needs it the most. We live in a individualistic society. Rarely are people helping each other; there is, however plenty of let's see how much I can get for less. The it's let's compare toys. It's all the root of insecurity, because no one can really compete,so it becomes an endless strive for an unreachable place to nowhere. My daughter said to me even though it was grueling for her to get up on a Saturday, she was glad she went. She felt good for doing something for someone else.


On Sunday night we ended the weekend by watching BET's "Black Girls Rock!". I wanted to us to watch this to further give examples of what she can do. My daughter and I have always had conversations ever since she was able to talk. I make sure that she understands that her opinion matters and that she has the power to have the life that she dreams of. To love herself and never seek completion through a man, drugs or the approval of others. A complete life begins with the love for yourself. There is no one on the planet who can give you what you can, they can only add to what you feel about yourself. I teach her to live with no fear, explore life and move to the beat your own drum.

I know my daughter hears me and although often my rants may sound like blah, blah, blah to her, my hope is that one day she will remember what I shared with her. I learned a lot from my daughter as well. I learned that she is growing into a very intelligent and caring young lady. She loves people and wants the best for everyone. With all the things that my daughter could be involved in as a teenager, today, like most days, I am proud of her. The things I shared with her regarding my life and how I prevail even through the darkest of nights. It's possible. When you defy what people think of you, you soon realize that they never mattered in the first place.

Kiss your daughters,Peace & Love

No comments:

UPDATE:

As some of you may know all of my social media accounts have been hacked. If you receive text or calls from my phone or email it not have be...